The Manhattan Project
1. Create a concept
Start with a concept of who you want your character to be. A concept can be as simple as one or two words or as elaborate as a couple sentences. Keep it simple and build up from there. Without this foundation, the rest of character creation is difficult and rather pointless.
Please keep in mind that we are asking for predominantly unestablished characters, and any older characters will need proportionately more justification to fit the setting. For example, if your character concept is an elder badass, they would have been sent to fight in the war – instead, build the badass’ childe, trying to fill a set of shoes that seem awfully big when you’re only a neonate.
2. Select Virtue & Vice
3. Assign Attributes, Skills & Specializations
- Attributes array options (Mental, Physical, Social):
- Primary: 3, 3, 2
- Secondary: 3, 2, 2
- Tertiary: 2, 2, 2
- Skills array options (Mental, Physical, Social):
- Primary: 3, 3, 2, 2, 1
- Secondary: 3, 2, 1, 1
- Tertiary: 2, 1, 1
- Determine Specializations:
- All characters start with 3 free specializations in skills appropriate for the character.
- Mechanically, a specialization adds 1 to your pool for any check where the specialization is appropriate.
4. Add Vampire: the Requiem template
- All characters begin play at Blood Potency 3.
- Select one of the Clans for your character, then choose your bonus Attribute.
- Two of your character’s in-clan Disciplines begin at two dots, the last at one dot. Out-of-clan Disciplines may be purchased with your starting XP (below), though you may need to justify how you learned them.
- Select which of the Covenants you are a member of.
- Starting Humanity is 7. Characters may come in at less (minimum 5) but will not receive XP for doing so.
5. Select Merits.
- You have 24 XP you may spend on Merits only.
- Merits are limited to the selection listed here.
- There are no Flaws in the system.
6. Finishing touches.
- determine derived statistics:
- Defence is equal to the lower of your Wits or Dexterity
- Health is equal to your combined Size + Stamina (Size is 5 unless you have a specific effect that changes it)
- Willpower is equal to your combined Resolve + Composure
- Initiative is equal to your combined Dexterity + Composure
- Speed is equal to your combined Dexterity + Strength
- Spend starting Experience (20)